Your friend, parent or family member has significant memory loss but won’t cooperate. You’ve tried everything: taking them to the doctor to discuss memory loss, hiring a caregiver that was fired, offering to help pay bills only to be told they don’t need the help. Unfortunately there wasn’t foresight to executive power of attorney documents years ago and you’re wondering what can be done, if anything. I empathize with your situation. This is a frustrating and worrisome place to be especially because the person needing help is beyond reason. They cannot recall conversations and lack the ability to problem solve or even understand the situation. At this time, depending on your level of knowledge of the legal system, it’s time to consider conservatorship and guardianship. Families can go through this process with or without an attorney. Many states have very good probate websites that explain the procedure if you wish to proceed without an attorney. If you go this route, it may be a good idea to consult an elder care professional with experience in the area so they can help you avoid common pitfalls.

Return from Your Family Member is at Risk but Won’t Cooperate to the Caring for my Parents Home Page

About Pamela Wilson

PAMELA D. WILSON, MS, BS/BA, NCG, CSA helps caregivers and aging adults solve caregiving problems and manage caregiving needs through online programs, live support groups, and an extensive caregiving library that includes articles, podcasts, videos, and webinars.

Pin It on Pinterest