You are a friend trying to help a friend who has had ongoing problems paying her bills on time. You think it would be easier if you just had your friend’s social security and retirement checks deposited into your checking account. This would allow you to write checks and pay her bills. But stop a moment and think about how this might look to an outside party. Yes, you are trying to help and to be supportive. But why not help your friend write checks from her own bank account to pay bills? Why not discuss becoming your friend’s legal power of attorney so that her bank account can be maintained? When the need for help progresses to this point it’s best to consult a family member if one is at all available. If not then consider making your assistance formal and legal.

Return from Helping with Finances to the Caring for My Parents Home Page

Sign up for Pamela's newsletter and get the latest tips, news, and advice about aging and caregiving.

P.S. Your email remains confidential and will never be sold or shared.

Family or Professional

Professional Type

Thank you for signing up!

Pin It on Pinterest